Throughout recent years, the use of social media has skyrocketed (see: http://socialmediaatwork.com/social-media-statistics/). People everywhere are using twitter, facebook, myspace, linkedin, and the endless other social media sites to stay in touch with family and friends, promote businesses, find people, and discover new information. These tools are intriguing, yes, but the real question is whether they are useful for marketing, or just a sidetrack that will put you hours behind in your “to-do” list.
The decision of whether to harness Social Media Marketing’s potential, or turn away and stay safely unharmed by its vastness could ruin anybody. This is why I am going to uncover some of the benefits of using Social Media in these next few blogs.
Social Media has become the new “hip” technology. So much so, that when you used to get frustrated when your 80 year-old grandmother didn’t have a cell phone (or even know what it was), now you get mad at your grandmother for not staying up-to-date and getting a facebook. It seems like everybody has a facebook these days, and to turn away from such a progressive and popular technology is an unacceptable type of behavior in today’s social expectations.
Other then allowing you to conform socially, here are 10 more reasons why SMM will benefit you and your company:
- Developing Relationships: Often times, huge corporate barriers are placed between businesses and their customers, and it is hard to develop a relationship with customers. Through social media, customers can express their ideas regarding your services, and you can monitor their satisfaction and develop relationships. A closer relationship is obtainable and it engages customers in your company and encourages them to participate.
- Search Engine Optimization: By using social media and creating links to your pages you increase your visibility on the web.
- Acquiring Secondary Traffic: You will have people that go looking for your site (customers), and people that will be channeled to your site through various connections and links. It is a good opportunity to promote your businesses to others, generate potential leads, and create an over all awareness of your company.
- Promoting company goals and morals: You can use your social media site to outline goals your business has and develop morals so that customers see you in a good or appropriate light. If you a program where you donate money to charities, or if you are environmentally friendly, or focus on superb customer service, you can outline this to your viewers.
- Promoting upcoming events: Using social media, you can invite people to webinars, fundraisers, or other various events your company is hosting. This is an easy way involve people in what you are doing and promote events.
- It is Free. Although it may cost some time, it costs no money.
- Complimentary Strategy: You do not have to give up existing marketing tools--SMM can be used along side regular marketing techniques as something that compliments/furthers your existing marketing strategy. You can continue using all the techniques you have been, but add in Social Media as a side note.
- Recommendations: You involve customers and encourage word of mouth promotion. A happy customer blogging about the benefits of your service on facebook is one of the most powerful ways to promote your product. Social Media makes word-of-mouth promotion easier for satisfied customers.
- Becoming More Personal: Add a face to your company. Social media will allow your company to be more “human-like” and approachable.
- Learning Customer’s needs/preferences: Using social media, getting customer feedback is much quicker process then a lot of other methods. By monitoring activity you can judge what customers like, what they want, and whether they are any problems or they are satisfied.
Social Media can be a useful Marketing tool that costs nothing and breaks the barrier between customer-business relationships. They only major problem now, is learning how to utilize it for maximum benefits. In my next blogs, I will give effective ways that Social Media can be applied as a marketing strategy to promote your business, generate awareness, and develop relationships with customers.