In recent years webinars have grown in popularity for marketers in the B2B world with about 62 percent of all B2B marketers currently using webinars. While this marketing strategy has proven to be successful, it is important that you do not forget the 84 percent you’re missing within each webinar. How are you missing 84% of your own webinar registrants? Well, typically 84 percent of the registrants do not care if they see the live event. How do you fix that problem? Simple—think green: recycle, reuse, re-purpose and re-imagine.
Take your live webinar and transform it into a more digestible and shorter on-demand webinar that people want to watch. Unfortunately most people will not watch an entire recording—think about your own attention span and your to-do list every day. A good way to make a live webinar more digestible is to slice it into snippets that can stand alone as their own mini-webinar. When developing the original live event, create a webinar inception. By dividing your webinar into separate sections and categories, you will be able to chapter it out into small recordings that your audience will actually have time to watch. Now, communication is always key! It is important to inform your guest speaker about your plan to divide the hour long webinar into smaller sections, so they can plan their material accordingly.
Quick Tip #1: When presenting the live webinar, remember to breath and pause. Without any breaks, words will easily be cut off or recordings will start with the dreadful use of “um” when you cut the recording. Give yourself at least a full second before beginning the next section—trust me this little pause will save you plenty of future headaches!
Have you ever told a great story to someone only to realize that it was one of those “you had to be there” type stories? When developing content for your webinar make sure to focus on your audience and the information that they WANT to hear rather than the information you want to share. In order for an audience to watch your recordings or attend your webinar they need to relate to the presented information. Don’t be “that” guy. You know, the one who only talks about himself. Because in reality people usually do not care to hear your life story unless they asked. When you discover the information that intrigues your audience, recycle, reuse, re-imagine and re-purpose it in almost every way possible.
Quick Tip #2: Include a poll at the beginning of your webinar to ask people what they specifically want to learn about. Study their challenges and provide them with ways to fix them. If your live audience is curious about a certain topic, then most likely your on-demand audience will be too.
Creating content with the specific intention of re-purposing it as an on-demand webinar requires more thought and work than a simple live webinar—starting from the very first stages. Recordings can be replayed and re-purposed for years to come, just as long as the content is still relevant and you do not put any date stamps on the material. Try to avoid referencing past and future events; otherwise people will immediately think all of the information is outdated. Also, attempt to keep your chapters independent from one another. While it is important that the information flows smoothly together, it is also important that you do not mention past or future points in the webinar outside of your predetermined chapter. You will confuse your on-demand audience if you reference points from the first section of your webinar in the fifth section. Additionally, be sure to make your webinar entertaining. Include app share, a poll, possibly a video and of course, eye catching slides. The more entertained a prospect is, the more likely they will continue to watch all of the webinar snippets you created and even other webinars you produced.
Quick Tip #3: Create a recording that keeps on giving. Promote your webinar in almost every way possible in order to increase the quantity of viewers. Send it through emails, upload it to YouTube, create a landing page, etc. The possibilities are endless!
The 16 percent of webinar attendees are clearly an important asset to your marketing strategy, so use them to reach the other 84 percent that are just as important. Pay attention to the live audience by focusing on their needs and wants because their interests will correspond with your on-demand audience’s’ desires. Recycle. Reuse. Re-imagine. Re-purpose your content to reach every registrant possible because you can’t convert a prospect you have never reached.
For the full webinar, check out our slide deck: “The 84% You’re Missing: Rethinking Your On-Demand Webinar Strategy”
Watch our webinar clip: “Designing a Live Webinar for On-Demand Use”
To learn more about how to create content for on-demand use, read our blog, “If You Struggle With Evergreen Topics, Then Read This”