Advancements in technology has made is possible for organizations to hold virtual meetings and discuss significant matters through web conferencing. Companies with branches in different location have greatly benefited from this technology. Regardless of geographical location, it is possible for employees to meet face to face through video conferencing. In addition to internal employee meetings, video conferences allow customers to participate when companies are doing product presentation or launching new services. Basic meeting etiquette must be followed regardless of the type of virtual meeting you participate in:
- Preparation for virtual meetings should be done thoroughly prior to the time set for the meeting. All participants should be emailed all the essential information of the meeting such as agenda, titles and names of other participants. Ensure all attendees have all the required login and password required to participate in the meeting.
- The venue from where you host in the virtual meeting greatly influences the success or failure of the meeting. Ensure that you find a quite location so that participants can communicate with each other clearly. In addition, confirm all attendees have all the required software and hardware to effectively take part in the meeting.
- Consider the different time zones of all the attendees. Set a time when all the participants will be available without having to wake up at night or be forced to arrive at work earlier than usual. Confirm that all attendees are comfortable with the time set for the meeting.
- Just like other meetings, virtual meeting should have a start time and end time. All attendees should be available at the start of the meeting for better follow up. Good collaboration is the key to success of virtual meetings.
- A brief introduction of the participants taking part in the meeting is crucial. The introduction should be done at the beginning of the meeting. The best approach is to conduct a roll call to confirm that all attendees are ready.
- Virtual meetings should follow an agenda just like other normal meeting. The organizer of the meeting should inform the participants the agenda of meeting in advance. Emailing the agenda prior to the meeting is the best way to reach the participants. The organizer must also ensure that all participants remain on the agenda as the meeting progress.
- Regardless of the place you attend a virtual meeting it is prudent to follow proper meeting etiquette. You should stay focused on the meeting and avoid distractions, such as answering calls or checking emails while the meeting is in progress.
Virtual meetings include all of the possible problems of face-to-face meetings but also present an extra layer of impediments. Nevertheless, employing the rules of etiquette will guarantee that your virtual meeting is an effective use of time. What tips would you recommend for hosting a great virtual meeting?