Types of Sales Enablement Tools
There are two types of sales enablement tools – internal and external. Internal tools are documents that get created for sales that they do not share outside the company. External tools are created to share with prospects, partners, customers and others outside of the company. Not every launch has every single component listed below, but rather you work with the key stakeholders to determine what this launch will need.
Internal sales enablement tools:
- You may have user and buyer personas. User personas are created usually to get a better understanding and get into the shoes of the person that will be using your technology or product. You want to understand what a day in their life looks like, what technologies do they use, how would they use your technology, what are their pain points, etc. Buyer personas may or may not be the same as your user persona. Buyer personas are the people that are buying your product or service. Creating these personas help you develop messaging and positioning so you know exactly how to talk to the various segments.
- Use cases
- Use cases are how the personas use the product or service. It’s the set of actions between the system and the user for a particular environment.
- Training content
- You will want to understand who will be trained so you can develop the appropriate training content. This will include all customer-facing employees usually – sales, account management, and customer care. I generally include an overview, target audience, their pain points, messaging, how it stacks up against the competition and what sales tools were created that sales can use.
- Work with Product Management to come up with a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). For internal FAQs, you may include all the questions that sales, account management or customer care might have and the answers.
- A playbook is basically everything included in training, but in a handout. It might also include sales cycle, buying titles, sales scenarios and scripts.
- If you have a product that can be demo’d, include a script that tells sales step-by-step instructions to do the demo, what the key benefits are and data points to prove out the benefits. Example: Here’s our new video product, it’s ridiculously simple and allows everyone to feel engaged whether they are in the room or not. Did you know 60% of remote employees do not feel engaged.
- Data sheet or brochure
- This can be printed or digital and describes the product or service, what the key benefits are and include information about how to contact sales.
- Web page
- Add a page to the website that provides an overview of the product or service, some key benefits with a call to action.
- Customer communication
- This can be done in-app if you have that built in to the product or use a 3rd party engagement software. In-app notifications would notify the user of new features. If you do not have the ability to do that in-app, you can update product release notes and send an email communication to customers.
- Prospect communication
- If there is a relevant group of prospects, you can send an email to let them know that you now have a product/feature that they were requesting or include them based on title or other criteria.
- Create a blog post noting what problem this new product or feature solves.
- Create a presentation for sales and account management to use
- Product feature video
- You can create a promotional video to highlight the product or even a tour of how the product works.
- Webinars are great for lead gen. Put one together around what pain point your product solves and get customers to participate and tell how they use your product.
- Public Relations
- PR helps you get the word out. Draft a press release and try to get a customer quote to include.
- Social media
- Use your social media outlets to let people know about your new product.
Using an integrated marketing approach, enables you to tell your story through a lot of different media and marketing channels.
Next up, how to create internal awareness for your new product or service.