The legal landscape for tax-exempt organizations has changed more in the most recent three years than in the previous three decades. This workshop will highlight important trends in nonprofit law, regulation, and governance, as well as focus on practical and strategic responses for board and staff leaders. Major topics include:
- Increased regulation and governmental scrutiny;
- Developing standards (and misconceptions) regarding nonprofit governance;
- Heightened liability concerns;
- The nonprofit entrepreneur: growing efforts to generate sustainable revenue; and
- The economic crisis and nonprofits in transition: Mergers, affiliations, dissolutions.
The workshop will be led by leading nonprofit lawyer, Jeff Hurwit, who has also served as staff attorney to a large nonprofit organization and an Assistant Attorney General overseeing Massachusetts nonprofit organizations.